Time & Location
Jan 15, 5:30 PM – 6:45 PM
About The Event
Join our First Church chefs in their home kitchens over zoom to learn and cook together some comforting and nutritious new recipes. Every month’s recipe is demonstrated step by step in real time as you either cook along from your own kitchen or just enjoy the demonstration and fellowship of FC friends. Program runs 60 - 75 minutes.
For our 2023 kickoff meeting, Jane Minasian will be demonstrating a recipe which she says "is quick to put together, comes out beautifully every time, and has been well received by both family and friends." It is Ginger-Dill baked salmon with a citrus avocado salad.
The ingredients you will need for 4 people are as follows (and Jane recommends making no less than this, since leftovers are particularly good the next day). Jane also suggests firm tofu be used as a substitute for vegetarians/vegans.
Contact Lillian Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the Zoom link.
We'll send the actual recipe to all participants the day before the program.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (1½-pound) salmon fillet, skin-on or skinless
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8-10 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 1 (4-5 inch) piece of fresh ginger, scrubbed and finely grated (no need to peel)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 Grapefruit (pink or white - and soft enough to be juicy)
- 2 oranges
- 6 small radishes, cut into thin wedges (OR thinly sliced 1/2 fennel bulb if you don't love radishes)
- 1 Avocado (at right ripeness for eating)
- 1-2 cups or more Arugula
- Flaky sea salt, for finishing (optional)
OPTIONAL STARCH: Roasted small potatoes (whatever quantity you wish for 4 people). To be seasoned with Oil, Cumin and Sea salt.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS - GOOD TO DO PRIOR TO THE PROGRAM: Grate the piece of ginger (unpeeled ok!) with micro planer or other fine grater; wash and chop Dill Finely. Cut small potatoes in half or quarters so they are quite small and toss them with some oil, cumin and salt and start them roasting on an oiled sheet pan in a 400 degree oven.