As members of the FCB community, we share a heritage of physical spaces in which our community has met, worshipped, worked, and celebrated through the years.
The founding generation of the "Belmont Congregational Society," formed in 1856, met in the upstairs room above the Adams General Store. It was located adjacent to the railroad in Belmont Center, on the old Belmont Municipal Light Plant site.
Our second home and first dedicated church building was a simple "carpenter Gothic-style" building adjacent to the railroad on the site of the Post Office parking lot. Completed in 1857, it was destroyed by fire in early 1890.
In the late 1880s, church leaders acquired a lot across Concord Avenue, adjacent to the Town Common for our beautiful new sanctuary building. Designed by a leading Boston architectural firm, Hartwell and Richardson, it opened for worship in April 1890.
Rapid growth in the town and our church community in the early 20th century led to the need for a new parish hall containing an auditorium, full-service kitchen and several classrooms. Featuring a stucco, half-timbered design, it opened in 1924.
Rapid growth in the 1980s and 1990s drove the need to enlarge and modernize our physical space. Today's modern and fully accessible parish hall, with state-of-the-art auditorium, kitchen and large, bright classroom facilities, was completed in 2004.